How do I create a portfolio of projects that belong to a program?
Creating a portfolio is an easy process that allows you to select criteria across PowerSteering to filter what you want to view in a Dashboard, Executive Review and Financial Review. It can also be used to run a report. If you are using programs on your site, you can create a portfolio of just the projects that are part of a program so you can see the data in a flat view. This article describes how to create a portfolio of projects that belong to a program.
Click here to view a brief video tutorial about how to create a new portfolio.
2. Click Add Portfolio
- Click Add Portfolio.
3. Enter Name and Description
- Click Portfolio Name, type a name for your portfolio. In addition to the Work Type, it is required that you provide a name for your portfolio. All other fields and selections are optional. See the article How do I create a new portfolio? for more information about portfolio options.
- Click Description, type a brief description that describes the purpose for this portfolio.
Note: Portfolio names are displayed in numerical then alphabetical order. For example if you created two portfolios, one called "10 - All My Programs" and another called "All My Programs", when you click the Portfolio drop down menu, the one entitled "10 - All My Programs" will be displayed before "All My Programs" because it begins with the number 10.
4. Click Work Types
- Click Work Types.
- Click to expand the Non-Gated Projects and / or Gated Projects lists. Note: Depending on how your Administrator has configured programs, you may see the program work type under either the Non-Gated Projects or Gated Projects list.
- Click to select the work types you want to include in your portfolio criteria.
- Click Done.
Note: Besides giving your portfolio a name, selecting a Work Type is the only requirement for creating a portfolio. All other selections and fields are optional. See the article How do I create a new portfolio? for more information about portfolio options.
5. Select Replace Programs By Their Members
- Click to select the Replace programs by their members check box. This option is only relevant when your portfolio contains programs and you want the projects to appear in your portfolio rather than the programs themselves.
6. Click Save Changes
- Click Save Changes.
7. View Portfolio Details
- View the details of the newly created portfolio. Program is selected as the Work Type, but because Replace programs by their members was selected, the portfolio contains only the items in the program, and not the programs themselves.