How do I update an existing document?
All documents that are stored in PowerSteering are automatically placed under version control. Any user that has edit permissions for a given work object can check out documents. When a document is checked out, the icon of each checked out document displays as a closed padlock. As long as it remains checked out, no other user can access it for editing, which ensures an orderly process for sharing and updating documents. This article describes how to update an existing document.
1. Click Documents
2. Click Update
3. Click Upload New Version
- Click on the document title to open the document.
- In your browser's Open or Save dialog box, specify to save the document to a location that is accessible to you.
- Click OK.
- Edit the saved copy of the document as necessary.
- Click Browse to upload the updated file version.
- Enter or select additional information as needed.
- Click Upload New Version.
PPT Image: If the document is an image file (.jpeg, .png, or .gif file formats), select this check box if you want the image to be included in your PowerPoint project summary file. The PowerSteering Administrator must have the PowerPoint template configured to use images.
Display on summary page: If the document is an image file (.jpeg, .png, or .gif file formats), select this check box if you want the image to appear in the Details section of the Project Summary page.
Keep document locked (so nobody else will be able to upload a new version): Select this check box if you want to continue editing your document, but want the latest changes to be available to other users.
Request Approval: For documents that require an approval, select this check box to automatically request approval when the new version is uploaded.
- Comments: Type comments to be included with the approval request (optional).
- Attach document to question email: Select this check box to include the document in the Inbox question for document approval.
Note: A document that is checked out remains available for all users to view; however, changes made while the document is checked out are only visible to other users after the document is checked in again.
4. View Document
- View the new version of the document.