How do I add new items in Project Central?
Within Project Central you have the ability to add new items either after or under the project tasks that are in your project plan. This article describes how to add items after and under your existing project tasks.
1. Click Add Under
- Locate the task for which you want to add a new item.
- Click on the context sensitive menu to view the selections.
- Click Add under or Add after. We used Add under for this article's example.
View: This option will take you to the Summary page for this specific line item.
Add under: This option will add a new line item as a child for this specific line item to create a parent child relationship between the two line items.
Add after: This option will add a new line item after this specific line item but it will not be a parent child relationship.
Indent: This option will update the selected item into a child relationship of the item directly above it. You will now see this item appear below the item above it with a plus / minus sign to signify that it can be expanded or collapsed.
Capture baselines: This option will enable you to take a new baseline for this item. This action will overwrite any previous baselines that have been taken for this line item.
Display from here: This option will refresh the page to only show this one line item in Project Central.
Information: This option will display a small dialog box with the Owner, Status, Scheduling type, Constraint type, Start and End dates for this specific line item.
Exclude from totals: This option will remove temporarily the hours associated with this task from the resource team panel. When excluded the item will be grayed out on the page. To bring the hours back into the resource plan you can select the menu again and choose "Include in totals".
Delete: This option will delete the line item from the project plan. You will receive a warning message before the delete action is completed to ensure this is the action you want to take.
2. Click Type
- Click Type, select the kind of work you want to add.
Note: The options in this list will differ based on whether you are doing an Add after or an Add under. If you selected Add under, the selections in the Type list will only show what can be parented by the original work item.
3. Click Name
- Click Name, type the name of the new work item.
4. Click Duration
- Click Duration, type the number of days it will take to complete this work item. The value in the Effort field will be updated automatically based on the hours in your work day. This is something you can change in the Effort field.
Note: By default the add dialog box is set to calculate effort from duration and allocation. This is represented in the dialog box with a yellow line under the number in the Effort field. You can change that calculation by clicking on the Duration, Allocation and Effort column headings within the add dialog box.
5. Click Allocation
- Click Allocation, type a number to represent the percentage of time that is available to work on this particular item. By default the duration and allocation in this dialog box will calculate effort however that can be changed by clicking on the Duration, Allocation or Effort column headings in this dialog box.
6. Click Effort
- Click Effort, type the number of hours you will need to complete this particular work item.
7. Click Duration
- Click Duration, update the number of hours to represent how many days it will take to complete this task. This is only necessary if changing your effort changed your duration to a value you did not want. If you are using duration and effort to calculate allocation, the recommended approach, the allocation number will automatically update.
8. Click Scheduling Type
- Click Scheduling Type, select whether this work item should be scheduled using the scheduler or if you want to manually schedule the items start and end dates.
9. Click Constraint
- Click Constraint, select a constraint type for this work item.
10. Click Start and End Dates
- If applicable, click the Start Date and End Date fields to enter this information.
11. Click Dependency
- If applicable, click Dependency, type a number to represent which line items will need to be completed before this work item can begin.
- Click Submit.
12. View New Line Item
- View the newly added item. The example above shows a task that was added using the Add Under option so there is a new parent child relationship created.