How do I assign a person to a project?
The Resource Review can be used to view unstaffed demand and assign users to projects. This article describes how to assign a user to a project task.
1. Filter Allocation Section
- Use the Filters option for the allocation section to limit the data you want to display in the allocation section of the Resource Review. See the article How do I filter the allocation section? for more information.
2. Filter Unstaffed Demand Section
- Use the Filters option for the unstaffed demand section to limit the data you want to display in the unstaffed demand section of the Resource Review. See the article How do I filter the unstaffed demand section? for more information.
3. Update Display
- Use the Display option to make the information displayed on the Resource Review meaningful and helpful for what you are trying to do. For example, if it is easier to schedule by individual weeks than months, update the period from monthly to weekly. Or if you find it easier to do all the resourcing for one kind of role at a time, change the Group demand by to "By Role". This will allow you to expand each role to see the projects, tasks and hours that require resources. See the article How do I change the Resource Review display? for more information.
4. Locate Role or Project Task
- Locate the project or task that you want to assign. If you have the display grouped by project, you can click on the plus sign to view the required roles and associated project tasks that need to be assigned.
5. Click Menu
- Click the context sensitive drop down menu next to the project task you want to assign.
- Click Assign.
Work Information: Selecting this option will display a dialog box with information about the work item such as the owner, status, scheduled start and end date, allocation information and successors.
Assign: This option will display a dialog box with options to select a user for assignment.
Notify work owner: This option will display a dialog box in which you can write a note to the owner of the work. Note: This notification will be sent via email to the Primary email defined for the user who is assigned as the Owner of the work. It will not be sent to the Owner's PowerSteering Inbox. Owner is a replaceable term in PowerSteering. Your organization may use a different label to represent the Owner role on your site.
Note: The context sensitive drop down menu will not appear until you have expanded the project or role to the lowest level available.
6. View Assignment Options
- View the resource selection dialog box. When possible PowerSteering will display the Best Matches for this assignment.
Best Matches: Provides a list of resource names based on the duration of the task, the required role and location of the work item.
By Qualifications: Allows you to perform a manual search using the following criteria - Role, Resource Pool, Need Resource, Cost Type and Skills.
Search: Allows you to search for and select a specific user by first or last name.