How do I update progress on a task within MS Project?
When an organization uses both PowerSteering and MS Project it is critical to keep the projects synchronized. It is important to note that the Percent Complete value for tasks that do not have resource assignments should only be updated in MS Project and imported into PowerSteering. Once a resource is assigned to a task, the Percent Complete value can be updated in either program. This lessons covers how to update progress on a task in MS Project and view it in PowerSteering.
2. Click Computer
- On the Open menu, click Computer.
- Click the Browse button.
3. Locate the XML File
5. Update Progress on MS Project Tasks
- Click in the % Complete field for the task(s) you want to update.
- Enter a numerical value to represent progress made on the task.
Note: The Percent Complete value for tasks that do not have resource assignments should only be updated in MS Project and imported into PowerSteering. Once a resource is assigned to a task the Percent Complete value can be updated in either program.
6. Save the MS Project File
- Make any final necessary changes to MS Project.
- Click File in the ribbon menu.
- Click Save As.
- Click Computer.
- Under computer, select a location where you want to save your file or click the Browse button to specify a location.
7. Update the File Format to XML
8. Navigate to the Summary Page
- Log into PowerSteering.
- Locate your project in PowerSteering using the Search function or History button on the Icon Bar.
9. Click Update
- Click the name of the imported document on the Summary page .
- In the context sensitive drop-down menu, click Update.
10. Click Browse
- Click Browse.
11. Locate the XML File
12. Upload the File into PowerSteering
- Confirm that the correct file name is displayed between the Browse and Upload & Import buttons.
- Click Upload & Import.
13. Open the Project in Project Central Project Planning
14. View Updated Progress in PowerSteering
- View the updated Percent Complete that was imported from MS Project.
- View the Status that was automatically updated as a result of the updated Percent Complete imported from MS Project.
Note: Task status should only be updated in PowerSteering and exported to MS Project. You should not update the task status in MS Project.