How do I import metric data?
In some cases the data that populates your metrics may come from an outside program that host financial or statistical information that you want to include in PowerSteering. We provide an import procedure that allows you to take information from that third party and import into PowerSteering quickly and easily following a very simple file format outline. This article describes how to import metric data into PowerSteering. See the article How do I format a metric import file? for more information on creating the file you will need to complete the import process.
1. Click Metrics
- On the Icon Bar click the Review button.
- Click Import / Export to expand the menu, then click Metrics.
2. Select Import Options
- Select the check box(es) for those options you want to apply to your metric import.
Treat zero values as empty: This option applies when you have zero values in a cell of your import file. If you have this option selected, the zeros in your file will be ignored and the cells on your metric will remain empty after the import. If you do not have this option selected, the zeros in your file will populate as zeros in the cells of your metric.
Remove empty values: This option controls the behavior of how empty cells in your import file impact the data in your metric. If you have a populated metric, and you have this option selected, any cell in your import file that is empty will remove whatever value is in the cell of your metric. This would be a good way of clearing information in mass if you ever had that need. If you have a populated metric, and you do not have this option selected, the existing values in your metric will not be impacted by the empty cells in your import file.
Automatically add beneficiaries to Metrics: This option only applies if you are using an advanced metric. In this case you would insert the value of the beneficiary tag into the Beneficiary column of the import file.
Cancel upload if any errors: This option controls how the upload process will handle errors. If you select this option, the upload process will cancel to prevent any data from being imported until the errors are resolved. If this option is not selected, the import process will continue until finished but list any entries that failed to import due to error.
3. Click Browse
- Click Browse, locate the file you want to upload.
- Click Load.
Note: The import file for metric data must be in .xls or text (tab delimited) (*.txt) file format. .xlsx and .csv file formats are not supported.
4. View Import Results
- View the results of the metric upload. If there were errors the list would appear on this page.
4.1. Troubleshooting Tips
In some cases your metric data may not load due to an error with the import file. This could be an issue with the format of the column headers, or an issue with the metric data you are trying to load. Below are a few troubleshooting tips to help you resolve any file loading errors:
- Missing or improper column headers
- Improper date formats
- Trailing spaces after column headers or metric data
- PowerSteering ID does not correspond to a project
- A project is deleted or archived
- Unrecognized metric template name
- The metric template is not associated with the project
- User does not have permissions to set values in the Metric Template
- Metric template has no view of the given name
- Item is not the name of an item in the Metric Template
- Item name is not unique in the metric template and is not fully-qualified
- Item is a formula or a static
- A number is in an invalid format
- The view is locked (or is locked at the specified date)
- A value has a date before the metric template’s start date or after the metric template’s end date
See the article How do I format a metric import file? for more information about the column header and metric data formatting.
5. View Metric
- Navigate to a metric to review the results of your import.