How do I create an external idea submission page?
An Idea Hopper can be thought of as a “suggestion box” for both PowerSteering users and other users without a PowerSteering login (“external users”). Each Idea Hopper is added to the list of idea categories that can be selected on the Submit an Idea page. External users access the Submit an Idea page via a URL made available by the Administrator. This article describes how to create an external idea submission page.
Note: Idea and Idea Hopper are replaceable terms in PowerSteering. Your organization may use a different label to represent ideas on your site.
1. Click Idea Hoppers
2. Click Add New
- Click Add New.
3. Enter Idea Hopper Details
- Enter Idea Hopper details.
- Click Add.
Name: A name for the idea hopper that identifies the type of ideas that should be submitted under this hopper.
Type: Specifies what type of basic item the idea hopper is. Note: This list contains all object types that have the option "Idea" selected in the configuration settings.
Location: The location where ideas should be routed. The parent of the idea in the Work Tree. Note: Only idea hoppers with a Specific location set are available to submitters who are not logged into PowerSteering.
- Specific location...: Select a specific location in the Work Tree that will serve as the parent for all new ideas submitted through this hopper.
Owner: Search for and select the user that should be responsible for ideas submitted to this hopper. This is important for external idea submissions.
Behavior: Select Automatically request approval upon idea submission to have the idea automatically sent for approval once it is submitted. If this is not selected, the owner will have to request approval for the idea after it has been submitted.
4. View Idea Hoppers
- View newly created idea hopper.
6. Copy URL
- Copy the URL for the Submit an Idea page, and share it with users that do not have access to PowerSteering.
7. Example External Idea Submission Page
- Above is an example of an external idea submission page. The URL presents just the Submit an Idea page, and none of PowerSteering’s navigational controls; therefore, external users cannot access any of the PowerSteering pages visible to authenticated users. Since external users do not login, if you want the external user to be able to identify themselves, make sure each idea work object specifies custom fields for personal information such as name, email, or phone number.