How do I create a project?
In PowerSteering a project can either be a basic project, which is simply a collaboration of tasks, discussions, and documents, or a gated project, which is a work type that has closed entry points where approval may be required before advancing to the next phase in the process. This article describes how to create a new project.
Click here to view a brief video about how to create a project.
1. Click Project
- On the Icon Bar click the Add button, then click Project.
2. Choose Work Type
- Choose Work Type from the drop-down box.
- Click Continue.
Note: When creating a basic project or gated project, consult with your manager or PowerSteering Administrator to determine whether you are required to use a template. A work template is a pre-built container that allows you to provide a consistent structure for users to build projects upon.
3. Enter Project Information
- Enter project information.
- Enter or select additional information as needed.
Name: The project name.
Objective: A brief description of the project's purpose (optional).
Import: Select whether all tasks or only milestones should be imported from the Microsoft Project import file. Note: This option will only be available if you are creating work from an object type that has 'Is MSP Container' selected.
Maximum Task Depth: Select the maximum task depth to be imported from the Microsoft Project import file. Note: This option will only be available if you are creating work from an object type that has 'Is MSP Container' selected.
Location in Work Tree: A location for the project within the Work Tree. If you have the Default location in Work Tree defined in your user preferences, this field will be automatically populated with that location, but is editable.
Add to Program: If you use programs on your site, the program(s) that the project should be included in.
Create as Complete: If Yes, the project will be created with a completed status. This option will only be available if you have the Create Projects as Complete permission.
4. Assign Users to Team Roles
- Click Suggestions or click in the Find field and enter one or more letters of the user's name, then click Go.
- From the results list, drag and drop users onto appropriate roles.
- Click Finish & Create!
See the article How do I assign people to roles? for more information.
4.1. Enter Optional Information (Optional)
- On Step 2, Click Continue.
- On Step 3, enter or select additional information as needed.
- Click Finish & Create!
5. View Project
- View Summary page of newly created project.