What does the Basic Info tab do?
The Basic Info tab in the Metric Template Wizard is where the all of the standard metric template settings are defined. This article describes the Basic Info tab.
1. The Basic Info Tab
- Fill in basic information for the metric template. Page sections are defined in the following steps.
- Click Next.
2. Basic Information
Name: The name of the metric template.
Description: A brief description of the template's purpose (optional).
Administrators: Select users or groups that will have permissions to edit your metric template (optional). Only users or groups with the Metric Template Administration permission will be available in this list. See How do I set up sub-administration permissions? and How do I assign a user as a sub-administrator? for more information about sub-administration.
3. Basic Properties
Allow Rollup: Specifies whether or not to total all instances of this metric worksheet across projects. Select "No" if the metric is used for non-comparable data that should not be combined with any other data. If set to "Yes", you can also set the Rolls up field of individual line items to "No" on the Line Items tab to override rolling up specific line items.
Calendar: The Calendar option will be available if you have a Metrics Calendar defined for your context. Use this drop-down to select which calendar should apply to the metric.
Frequency: Specifies the time period covered by the metric: monthly, quarterly or yearly. Set this field to "No Frequency" if a metric is entered only once in a projec's life cycle (e.g., a one time scorecard or assessment). Note: Once you deploy a metric template, you cannot change its frequency.
Period Starts On And Ends On: Specifies the earliest and latest dates when data can be entered. For most metrics the end date is left blank; you typically specify an end date only if the metric is used temporarily. The Starts On and Ends On values will automatically be set to the first and last days of the period, respectively. For example, if you set the frequency to Monthly and enter 12/15/2015 in the Starts On field, the date will automatically be changed to 12/1/2015. Note: Once you deploy a metric template, you cannot change the start or end date.
Send Reminders: Specifies when to send metric reminders to project owners. Reminders will not be sent for projects having statuses of On Hold, Not Started, Canceled, or Completed. Note: In order for metric reminders to be sent, the Metric Reminder Agent must be active. See the article What agents are available in PowerSteering? for more information about this agent.
- Never: Metric reminders will never be sent.
- Before Period Begins: Metric reminders will be sent on the last Sunday (or other day that is configured as the first day of the week) before the metric period begins.
- After Period Begins: Metric reminders will be sent on the first Sunday (or other day that is configured as the first day of the week) within the current metric period.
Version Control: Specifies whether to take a snapshot of metric data whenever it is updated. Metric versions can be accessed on the Metric by clicking the Show Versions hyperlink.
Views: Specifies whether the same template should be duplicated on one or more tabs with a different label. For example, you might want to enter data in a spreadsheet labeled Planned at the start of a project, and then as the project progresses, be able to enter data into additional instances of this template labeled Target, Actual, and Audited. View labels are entered on the View Tab of the metric template wizard.
Process: This setting has been deprecated.
3.1. Vertical Totals
Vertical Totals: Specifies how cell values are calculated and shown for summary periods. With Vertical Totals enabled, a summary period (i.e., a quarter) will calculate a cell value using the same calculation that is defined in the metric. With Vertical Totals disabled, the summary period will simply sum the values and display the total.
4. Tag Breakdown
- Tag Breakdown lets you allocate metrics for one project among multiple values defined in a tag. Note: Once you deploy a metric template, you cannot change the tag breakdown.
Tag: Specifies a predefined tag that has tag values to which different portions of project metrics will be allocated. For each project worksheet that uses this template, you select the actual tag values that you want to be beneficiaries. The tag and its values must already be defined.
Allocate Benefits: This option can be used to configure advanced formulas; contact your PowerSteering representative to learn more about this option.
Percent Allocation By Beneficiaries: If "Yes", metric values will be entered on summary lines and the selected beneficiary lines will be allocated amounts based on the defined percentage.
5. Automatic Work Type Association
- Automatic Work Type Association automatically attaches the metric to all new instances of the selected work types. This setting has no effect on existing projects; however, a new metric can be manually added to existing projects if necessary. See the article How do I attach a metric to a project? for more information. Note: Metrics can also be mass attached to existing projects. Contact the PowerSteering Support Team for more information.